Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I Survived My First Year of College!

I am back at home for the summer and finished unpacking all of my boxes upon boxes of stuff (most of which I did not have when I left for school.) This is the first chance I have really had to reflect on the year because, honestly, while I was at school I was constantly in go-mode.  I truly had an amazing first year, and I can attribute that primarily to all of the friends I made. While I can not describe my whole first year experience to you in a single blog post, I will give you a quick glimpse into it though three things that stood out to me most while reflecting back.

1. Throughout the entire year I was at school, there was not a single moment when I was homesick. 
I love my home, my family, and my friends, but while at school I was too busy to be homesick. I am the type of person who lives completely in the present. While that is not always good, it really was a benefit to my freshmen year. I felt bad for all of the kids who were homesick, because I wasn't able to sympathize with them. 

2. I was extremely sleep deprived for months at a time.
My regular week schedule consisted of me going to bed at 2:30 AM and then waking up again at 6:50. On the weekends I would rarely climb into bed before 4. I was so exhausted sometimes that I would fall asleep sitting up while studying in the middle of the day! Before I went to college I couldn't even fall asleep with the TV on, or in a car! My body felt weak all the time. The only recovery time I had was when I went home for holidays every couple of months. This is the first bad habbit that I am determined to quit next year. 

3. I went nine months eating basically the same three foods.
*Bread, cheese, and chicken* now that looks like a diet of champions if I've seen one. Essentially, I ate chicken and cheese quesadillas, grilled cheeses, Turkey sandwiches, bagels and cream cheese, and grilled chicken every day while I was at school. While I did have other side dishes, and a lot of fruit, my main dish was almost always one (or a combination) of the core three. My parents, who are both big proponents of a "balanced diet" and always make sure I am very well fed while at home, were extremely concerned when they found this out.

I hope all of you college students had as great of a year as I did! If any future freshmen have any questions about what to expect I would love to answer them. 

Here's to a summer to remember,

Polka Dots

No comments:

Post a Comment